at RM’s 2012 Monaco Sale
• RM Auctions consigns acclaimed Saltarelli Ducati collection to feature at Monaco sale on 10th -12th May, 2012
• Important 100 motorcycle collection to be offered ‘without reserve’
• Collection further establishes RM’s growing reputation for historic motorcycle sales
• Ducati Factory to support the auction with the sale of significant ex-Works race machines
LONDON (18 January, 2012) – RM Auctions is delighted to announce the consignment of an important single-owner collection of 100 significant Ducati motorcycles to its 2012 Monaco sale at the Grimaldi Forum. The presentation of the renowned Saltarelli Collection will see RM’s highly-anticipated Monaco auction extended to two-days in 2012, with the motorcycles magnificently complementing the roster of blue-chip automobiles.
In addition to the Saltarelli Collection, RM Auctions is delighted to announce the presence of the Ducati Factory and Museum at the Monaco auction along with the sale of some fantastic ex-Works racing machines, sourced directly from the Ducati Corse racing department. Ducati will also offer a fascinating collection of memorabilia directly from the factory.
“We are honoured to have been entrusted by Mr. Saltarelli to offer his exceptional collection at our upcoming Monaco sale”, says Max Girardo, managing director at RM Europe. “The ability to announce the presence of the Ducati Factory at the sale with the inclusion of some wonderful ex-Works race bikes, makes the Monaco auction a truly once in a lifetime opportunity for Ducati collectors and enthusiasts. We are thrilled to have this opportunity to work with the Ducati Factory as we continue to align ourselves with the world’s leading brands”
CEO and President of Ducati Motor Holding, Gabriele Del Torchio said: “We are delighted that an auction house as prestigious as RM Auctions will be offering the Saltarelli collection of historic Ducati motorcycles and I am proud to complement the event by offering some very special motorcycles from our Ducati Corse racing department. This incredible sale will enable passionate bidders to take ownership of unique pieces of Ducati history, from the Ducati Cucciolo to a Ducati Desmosedici MotoGP machine.”
Carlo Saltarelli is an ex-Ducati factory test rider, racer and dealer, who carefully amassed his incredible collection of bikes over the past 30 years of his amazing career. Of the stunning 100 motorcycles offered ‘without reserve’ are several race machines worthy of specific attention. The highlight of the collection, and a lot that will undoubtedly attract strong interest from discerning bike collectors, is the 1970 Ex-Works Ducati 450 Desmo “Corsa”, a bike presented in the Ducati Museum book and a feature display at the Ducati museum in Bologna in recent years.
The Saltarelli Collection also features a beautiful 1990 Ex-Works Ducati 888 SBK, ridden in period by Giancarlo Falappa. A factory-raced 888 is a rare bike indeed, and this example represents a not-to-be-missed ownership opportunity. Other significant lots include a brace of 750SS race bikes from the 1970s including an ex-factory 1973/4 Ducati 750SS, Race Number 1, ridden in 1975 works rider Franco Uncini, and a 1974 Ducati 750SS, Race Number 23, which also boasts an illustrious racing history, having scored a number of victories and podium finishes during the 1974 and 1975 seasons, often in the hands of Carlo Saltarelli himself.
Other significant lots include:
• 1956 Ducati 125 Moto Giro F3, an original factory-built privateer racing machine in splendid original condition;
• 1979 Ducati 860 Mike Hailwood Replica Series 1, an original, un-restored and desirable Series 1 Mike Hailwood Replica in good order;
• 2000 Ducati 900MHE, a delivery mileage ex Motorshow machine, previously displayed at the Ducati factory;
• 1970 Ducati 450 Desmo Scrambler, an original, un-restored and very desirable Desmo Scrambler finished in yellow;
• 1997 Ex Team Gio.Ca.Moto Ducati 748R, a stunning ex-Team Gio.Ca.Moto racing 748 in yellow livery; and
• an iconic 1970 Ducati 250 Desmo “Silver Shotgun”, boasting an excellent, older restoration.
For further information, full event details or to discuss consignment opportunities for RM’s 2012 Monaco sale, please contact RM’s London office on +44 20 7851 7070 or visit www.rmauctions.com.