The Tissot-Superpole ahead of tomorrow’s two WSBK races saw Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) set a new lap record at
the Laguna Seca circuit in California. Superpole 1 saw Loris Baz
(Kawasaki Racing Team) and Niccolo Canepa (Althea Racing Ducati) progress to join the already seeded top ten riders after the combined three practice sessions. For the Frenchman, the first 15 minutes wasn’t without incident as the Kawasaki rider ran off track at turn 6 before gently laying his ZX-R machine down in the gravel. Luckily he was able to remount and return to the garage, eventually qualifying 8th on the grid after Superpole 2.
Christian Iddon (Team Bimota Alstare) also fell in Superpole 1. The British rider was unhurt and will be able to race tomorrow.
In the final 15 minute top 12 grid deciding session, the fans were not left disappointed after a series of fast laps kept them guessing as to who would emerge as the front row qualifiers. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) set the initial benchmark of 1.23.752 before being eclipsed by his team mate Marco Melandri. The Ducati pairing of Davide Giugliano and Chaz Davies split the Aprilia duo before Guintoli reclaimed the top spot with 9 minutes to go.
At the flag it was reigning champion who lived up to his title of Mr Superpole with an outright circuit best lap of 1.21.811. Sylvain Guintoli and Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) claimed the final front row starting positions with Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team), Marco Melandri and Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) grabbing 4th, 5th and 6th places on the grid respectively. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) crashed unhurt and will start 10th tomorrow.
The accolade of being the best classified EVO rider at the US round went to Niccolo Canepa in 12th position overall, the only EVO rider to make it through to the final shootout.
Combined Qualifying Results
1. Tom SYKES (GBR), Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R (1’21.811)
2. Silvain GUINTOLI (FRA), Aprilia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory (1’22.339)
3. Chaz DAVIES (GBR), Ducati Superbike Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R (1’22.384)
4. Davide GIUGLIANO (ITA), Ducati Superbike Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R (1’22.422)
5. Marco MELANDRI (ITA), Aprilia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory (1’22.704)
6. Eugene LAVERTY (IRL), Voltcom Crescent Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 (1’22.725)
7. Leon HASLAM (GBR), PATA Honda World Superbike Honda CBR1000RR (1’23.181)
8. Loris BAZ (FRA) Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R (1’23.242)
9. Toni ELIAS (ESP) Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 Factory (1’23.358)
10. Jonathan REA (GBR), PATA Honda World Superbike Honda CBR1000RR (1’23.501)
11. Alex LOWES (GBR) Voltcom Crescent Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 (1’23.562)
12. Niccolo CANEPA (ITA) Althea Racing Ducati 1199 Panigale R EVO (1’23.924)
13. Sylvain BARRIER (FRA) BMW Motorrad Italia SBK BMW S1000 RR EVO (1’23.840 SP1)
14. Chrisdtian IDDON (GBR) Team Bimota Alstare Bimota BB3 EVO (1’24.024 SP1)
15. David SALOM (ESP) Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R EVO (1’24.227 SP1)
16. Ayrton BADOVINI (ITA) Team Bimota Alstare Bimota BB3 EVO (1’24.301 SP1)
17. Bryan STARING (AUS) IRON BRAIN Grillini Kawasaki Kawasaki ZX-10R EVO (1’24.986 SP1)
18. Sheridan MORAIS (RSA) IRON BRAIN Grillini Kawasaki Kawasaki ZX-10R EVO (1’25.021 SP1)
20. Alessandro ANDREOZZI (ITA) Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R EVO (1’25.383 SP1)
21. Jeremy GUARNONI (FRA) MRS Kawasaki Kawasaki ZX-10R EVO (1’26.080 FP)
22. Geoff MAY (USA) Team Hero EBR EBR 1190 RX (1’26.087 FP)
23. Larry PEGRAM (USA) Foremost Insurance EBR EBR 1190 RX (1’26.302 FP)
24. Gabor RIZMAYER (HUN) BMW Team Toth BMW S1000 RR (1’26.506 FP)
25. Aaron YATES (USA) Team Hero EBR EBR 1190 RX (1’26.999 FP)
26. Chris ULRICH (USA) GEICO Motorcycle Road Rac. Honda CBR1000RR (1’27.169 FP)
27. Peter SEBESTYEN (HUN) BMW Team Toth BMW S1000 RR EVO (1’27.226 FP)